• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final check cashing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

summergirl197

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I was terminated with no reason given after 11 years. My final check is in the mail to me. I have heard before that this employer has a tendency to pay more than what i am owed, in essence for me to not sue them. Is it true that if i cash that check and its for more that what i am owed I forgo a right to bring a case against them? (which that is a whole another topic for me)

pattytx

Not without an agreement saying so. I would, however, call and confirm when you get the paystub that what is paid is, in fact, what they intended to pay. If that is the case, you might want to confirm it in writing. You don't want them coming back in 6 months saying you were overpaid and we want our money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">