• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are the double parking rules in nyc?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willbtic5000

NY State, NY City.

Hello,

I just received a ticket for double parking. My first. I live in NYC and was dropping off a large package into the lobby of my building (total time away from car, approximately 3 minutes) and arrived outside to see the meter maid giving me a ticket. I explained, told her what had happened and she obviously didn't care. Wrote me the ticket.

I thought you were allowed to drop off something if done expeditiously. BTW, I have the receipt from the store I was in (paid for my purchase with a credit card so I can prove it was me) that has a time stamp on it. There's no humanly way possible I could have left the car unattended for more than 3 minutes.

Question: Do I have a shot at having my ticket dismissed? Or are you not allowed to drop anything off (aside from a person.)
Also, do I have a shot at having my ticket reduced? If so, how do I do this? I'm wiling to go down and talk with a clerk.
Thanks for all your advice! I'm glad I found this site.

racer72

Double parking is never legal except for commercial vehicles, even then there are restrictions.

Standing or parking on the roadway side of a vehicle stopped, standing or parked at the curb; in other words, "double parking". A person may; however, stand a Commercial Vehicle alongside a vehicle parked at the curb at such locations and during such hours that stopping, standing and parking is not prohibited when expeditiously making pickups, deliveries or service calls, provided that there is no unoccupied parking space or designated loading zone on either side of the street within 100 feet. "Double parking" any type of vehicle is not; however, permitted in Midtown Manhattan (the area from 14th Street to 60th Street, between First Avenue and Eighth Avenue inclusive). Except where otherwise restricted, midtown double parking is prohibited between 7 am and 7 pm daily except Sundays. (See Code 47.)

You Are Guilty

Basically, you can never double park. Unloading passengers/packages is an exception to the no standing/no parking rules. You are eligible for a "settlement" though - an automatic 15-20% discount you get just for asking for it.

You can also search this site for the list of parking ticket mistakes which require it to be dismissed, although when you go for a settlement, the clerk checks your ticket for them first anyway, so it's not really necessary for you to do so.

Good luck.

solkeys

Double Parked when waiting to park

In Brooklyn I was waiting for a car to finish moving out of a parking space so that I can park there. I got a ticket for Double Parking. I went for a hearing and was told by the judge that I can not stop only if the space is already empty. Is that true and does this make sense?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">