• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shareholder Oppression?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BethWatts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming

My question is what is the procedure that a trustee must go through when selling a large acreage of land that belongs to a trust? Is there any laws stating that he/she must sell it within a reasonable area of the apraised value?

The trustee of the close corporation, that I hold shares in, is selling the ranch for a very minimal amount to a personal friend of his. My family and I believe that he is selling it for so "cheap" to keep my mother from getting her due amount from the trust because she is a major shareholder and is only Married in to the family. In the long run us kids will lose out, too. All because he doesn't want us to have it. Does this tie in with shareholder oppression?

curb1

There is a fiduciary responsibility for the Trustee. This would be worth running by an attorney in your area. This is a basic situation that shouldn't cost much in attorney fees. Then, also, it can depend on the guidelines as presented in the Trust document.

BethWatts

I see!

Thank you very much!

Any chance that you could give me a quick explanation of shareholder oppression for my notes? I like to be prepared and I'm meeting with my attorney on Sunday.

seniorjudge

Double post warning

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming

My question is what is the procedure that a trustee must go through when selling a large acreage of land that belongs to a trust? Is there any laws stating that he/she must sell it within a reasonable area of the apraised value?

The trustee of the close corporation, that I hold shares in, is selling the ranch for a very minimal amount to a personal friend of his. My family and I believe that he is selling it for so "cheap" to keep my mother from getting her due amount from the trust because she is a major shareholder and is only Married in to the family. In the long run us kids will lose out, too. All because he doesn't want us to have it. Does this tie in with shareholder oppression?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/wills-trusts-estate-planning-113/need-little-help-445210.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">