• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help and advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RachaelTorres

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

In 2000, my husband was sentenced to Life. I know you hear this a lot of the time but, he is innocent of the crime in question. He doesn't deny being present when the crime occurred, because he was, but he was not the one who carried out the attack. There was 4 of them involved. 1 of them was given full immunity, and the other 3 including my husband are in prison. 1 is due out next year, and the other has 6 years to go.
When the case went to court my husband was advised not to testify, for what reason I do not know! The other's all passed the blame and took 'deals' - there was no DNA, no evidence, no anything that suggested that my husband was the one on this case - although they did bring a pair of trainers into the court, that they said had blood splatter on them but were 3 sizes too big for my husband! Yet they still convicted him - in the court papers it even says that 'the court relies on the testimony of **************...... ' and this is what they convicted my husband on!!!!!!
Since then , one of the guys involved has recanted his statement against my husband.

I have been in touch with a few attorneys about getting a appeal case going and getting this back in court, but because we have appealed his sentence and also pursued a post conviction relief - they are saying that there are no more legal proceedings that we can try.

There must be something that I can do - there is no way that my husband can pay for a crime that he did not commit - while the one who did will be released!

Can someone give me any advise on what I can do to get some justice?

Thanks

FlyingRon

We don't have the charge, but "being there" could in fact make you as guilty as the guy who was landing the punches or whatever. You can't do squat on guys who make deals. The fact that all present (save the guy who got immunity) are in jail kind of diminishes the "my husband was an innocent victim of the plea deals".

You should have had competent legal help earlier. Felony trials are nothing to screw around with and you don't mess with your appeal options for sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">