• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life estates in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teresavest

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
My cousin was left a life estate by our Aunt (who had no children). The remainder - the 10 first cousins receive the estate or house and land after her death. A lawyer told my cousin and my sister that the 10 of us are responsible for the taxes, insurance and upkeep of the house while my cousin is living there. We were under the impression according to our aunt, our cousin was to keep us the house while he lived there. Anyone know?

JETX

A lawyer told my cousin and my sister that the 10 of us are responsible for the taxes, insurance and upkeep of the house while my cousin is living there. We were under the impression according to our aunt, our cousin was to keep us the house while he lived there. Anyone know?
Yep. The siblings are the OWNERS of the property and have to pay all taxes, etc. on it. The 'life estate' beneficiary gets to live there until he/she decides to move.... or dies. Of course, all of the other heirs could 'pool' funds and try to buy him/her out of the life estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">