• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relative taking financial advantage of alzheimer's parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ca2sun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My 45 year old sister in law continues to take financial advantage of my father in law who has advancing alzheimers- he is 85 and we moved him to an assisted living facility 4 months ago. My husband has power of attorney and began taking over his finances in 2006 when we discovered his sister was running his finances into the ground. She spent nearly $6000 a month at that time as though she was entitled to use his money to support her life. She used the money for car payments, utilities, trips, school events for her daughter, movie rentals, credit card debt, many atm withdrawals, many checks written to her. She works outside the home and lives in my father in laws rental--rent free--for the last decade. She did a shoddy job at filing his taxes for which he owed penalties, and allowed his homeowner's insurances to lapse. He was behind several months on utilities and other bills resulting in late fees. Once my husband took over his finances-he got his father back on track and into saving mode again. The syphoning of money slowed but she still would go online and apply credit card/car payments--or whatever using his bank account number. My husband allowed her to keep a debit card because she lived next to my father in law and would buy 'his' groceries and other incidentals. However--she helped herself to $20, $40, $100 atm withdrawals often. When my father in law went into assisted living-my husband pulled the debit card--much to her disappointment. Today a check, written to her was cashed for $250 for 'water and garbage' using a check from Dads account. Where did she get the check? Could have been laying around his home--which we are in the middle of packing up and renovating to rent out to offset the cost for his assisted living. My husbands relationship with her over this is deeply strained. She obviously intends to take advantage of my father in law and his state of alzheimer's. What can we do to make her stop once and for all?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My 45 year old sister in law continues to take financial advantage of my father in law who has advancing alzheimers- he is 85 and we moved him to an assisted living facility 4 months ago. My husband has power of attorney and began taking over his finances in 2006 when we discovered his sister was running his finances into the ground. She spent nearly $6000 a month at that time as though she was entitled to use his money to support her life. She used the money for car payments, utilities, trips, school events for her daughter, movie rentals, credit card debt, many atm withdrawals, many checks written to her. She works outside the home and lives in my father in laws rental--rent free--for the last decade. She did a shoddy job at filing his taxes for which he owed penalties, and allowed his homeowner's insurances to lapse. He was behind several months on utilities and other bills resulting in late fees. Once my husband took over his finances-he got his father back on track and into saving mode again. The syphoning of money slowed but she still would go online and apply credit card/car payments--or whatever using his bank account number. My husband allowed her to keep a debit card because she lived next to my father in law and would buy 'his' groceries and other incidentals. However--she helped herself to $20, $40, $100 atm withdrawals often. When my father in law went into assisted living-my husband pulled the debit card--much to her disappointment. Today a check, written to her was cashed for $250 for 'water and garbage' using a check from Dads account. Where did she get the check? Could have been laying around his home--which we are in the middle of packing up and renovating to rent out to offset the cost for his assisted living. My husbands relationship with her over this is deeply strained. She obviously intends to take advantage of my father in law and his state of alzheimer's. What can we do to make her stop once and for all?
Until your FIL is declared incompetent by a court, he can still sign checks on his bank account. Have hubby petition for conservator of his dad so hubby can put his dad's monies in a protected account that can't even be touched by his dad.

cyjeff

Until your FIL is declared incompetent by a court, he can still sign checks on his bank account. Have hubby petition for conservator of his dad so hubby can put his dad's monies in a protected account that can't even be touched by his dad.
Agreed, but I would still look at the check itself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">