• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Mandatory" Meetings & Write Ups

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmbirdyluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
My manager keeps announcing mandatory meetings on very short notice. In December she announced a "mandatory" meeting with only 24 hours notice & threatened employees who could not make it with "writing them up". She also told one employee who couldn't come because her child was vomiting to "tell her to bring the kid with her. She better be there." All of this threatening was verbal. Now on Friday 1/9/09, she announced a mandatory meeting for Monday 1/12 in a memo. This time she put in writing that "anyone who does not attend will be written up." Some of these employees have other jobs, kids and we all might have other obligations, appointments, etc. We are not "on call" employees. We have a set schedule that rarely changes except to account for sick calls, vacation time, etc. When the schedule changes for these reason, they ask us if we will work the different shift. They don't order us to do it. As a previous retail manager at a company that went by CA law, I was not allowed to announce last minute "mandatory" meetings & tell employees they will be written up if they do not attend. I could schedule "emergency" meetings and ask that they please call if they can't attend, but not write up if the meeting was announced after the schedule was posted or within less than a weeks notice. In the state of Nevada, at what point must she announce the meeting if she wants to write us up for not attending?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Nevada and in all other states (including CA - that was company policy, not law) she can say as you are on the way out the door, "Take your coat off; there's a mandatory meeting starting right now".

NO state has a time frame under which meetings, mandatory or not, must be announced.

ecmst12

However, disciplining an employee for staying home with a sick child COULD be considered an FMLA violation. Doesn't help people who can't come in for some non-FMLA related issue though.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Depends on whether or not the illness is a "serious health condition" under FMLA. A kid with a 24 hour stomach bug would not qualify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">