• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gmpreston

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I am interested in producing a will that leaves property to my domstic partner (Julie). I was recently laid off of work so I am looking for a simple and inexpensive will.

This includes:
House and lot in Forest Lake appraised at approx. 330K with 170K still owed.
Honda CRV
Wells Fargo bank account

Looking for a cost estimate on preparing a simple will.

TrustUser

i would sure like for you to consider doing a trust, instead.

most cookbook trusts work fine, for your situation. so you wouldnt need to pay a lawyer.

trusts have much less litigation involved, because it is a legal entity. one that you would have created and managed for perhaps years, before you die.

there is nothing public that needs to be done. you make yourself the trustee, with julie as your successor trustee, as well as your beneficiary.

most banks usually ask you to place the name of the successor trustee on your account, as well as having copies of your trust document (at least certain pages).

if your state allows you to name a beneficiary of your car as part of the registration, i would do that, instead of putting it into the trust.

you might want to hire an attorney to prepare the grant deeds for the properties, though.

otherwise, with a will - you end up in probate, where costs are gonna be many times higher.

if i were julie, i would be more than happy to pay for all your expenses incurred - LOL.

SIN EATER

Be careful if you put a house in a trust - you may lose the homestead exemption (among other exemptions) which most states allow.
You can wind up paying thousands extra $ in property taxes, to avoid a small amt of probate costs.

Trusts are often not necessary and complicate simple estates. Even when a trust is funded properly, there are usually some items which require probate.

Your bank account can have a POD (pay on death) beneficiary. This money will pass outside of probate & outside of a trust (as can insurance and retirement proceeds).

Your car and home and personal effects can be taken care of in a simple will.

Attorney's prices for wills varies greatly (150 to 500 for similar products).
Call your local (look under your county name) Bar Association and ask for a referral.
Just call the phone numbers and ask about the price before you even make an appointment with the attorney.

The complexity of probate varies from state to state. In some states, it is a simple and fairly cheap process (Tx). Many states offer an expedited process for small estates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">