• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I be fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robyn421

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am a mature single woman. I have been employed as an EA to the President at the same company for over 3 yrs in California. We recently had a lay off. We are not a large firm and this was a sizable loss of work force. My boss is a demanding, difficult person to work for but I have managed to do a very fine job regardless. With this recent lay off, he is placing more pressure than ever on me to take on responsibilities for which I have no training or experience and expects me to thrive. While I am not an ignorant person, I also know my limitations and some of what he is insisting I do are beyond those limits. I was previously working 9-10 hrs per day, that has escalated to 11-12. This is causing me an enormous amount of stress, and creating an intolerable level of anxiety. I have been prescribed anti-anxiety medication but they had an adverse effect so I cannot continue to take them. Would it be safe to divulge these details with our Human Resources Dept. in the hopes that she can assist me in getting my boss to understand and is the law on my side here or is this too much information to share? Do I run the risk of being fired? In this economy, I cannot afford to lose my job but I also cannot afford to lose my mind. Please advise. Thank you.

cyjeff

Unfortunately, yes, you can be fired.

There is no law against asking you to do more (or less) than you were hired to do.

You can be asked to clean the toilets or create cold fusion... and be fired if you fail in either or refuse to do either.

I would also recommend against telling HR about your medication.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">