• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced change in hiring agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AVPSrRegSA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN
I was hired over five years ago to work 20 hours per week. I had a very clear agreement that because of family responsibilities I would work no later than 3pm, but would work 7 hours on T,Th and make up the additional 6 hours whenever I chose to the rest of the week. I have worked for over five years with this arrangement, and have always had very high marks on my reviews. I have never seen anything documented that indicated there was a problem with those hours. There are others in my office that also leave earlier than 5:00. I was told last week that effective January 15, I am expected to stay until 5:00, and my HR profile (on which salary and benefits like pto are based) will not be adjusted to reflect the additional 4 hours per week. I explained that my family circumstances have not changed and asked for alternatives. The only one I was given was to approach the person I job share with and ask her to change her M,W,F schedule so that we would both work half days, with me covering 8-12, and her doing 1-5. She is not willing to do this. It has been inferred that if I do not comply I will lose my job. What kind of rights do I have? If I am fired over this, am I eligible for unemployment? I am not able to work until 5:00, but I can stretch it until 3:30.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have the right to find other employment that will accomodate your preferred/required schedule. The fact that your employer has accomodated it in the past does not mean he is required to accomodate it forever.

I can see an unemployment claim going either way - it will depend on the reason you are unable to adjust your schedule IMO, not to mention the mood of the claims examiner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">