• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transgender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anth201

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

This is my first post here, and I hope it is in the right place.

I am a physician - a geriatrician, to be specific. I just finished my fellowship, and am in my first year of practice in a small town. I am heavily in debt from med school/college etc., and cannot afford an attorney for help in this matter.

I just opened my practice. In need of a front-desk receptionist, I hired a young man who seemed quite chipper and eager to work. After his first couple of weeks, he showed up to work wearing a skirt. Yes, you read that right, a skirt. The first time it occured, I asked him to go home and change. He protested, stating that my female PA (physician assistant) is allowed to wear skirts. Of course, I simply responsed that she is a woman, and the same dress code simply cannot apply here.

He went home and changed, but now has now showed up again in a skirt, this time demanding that I recognize his expression of gender identity. I have had *several* complaints from patients, and am already losing business. I simply cannot afford this mess, but don't know if I can fire this man legally.

I find the whole situation very disappointing. Any help would be appreciated. I need to stay in practice - I'm drowning in debt!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Multiple courts have ruled that differences in dress code do not constitute illegal gender discrimination. But given that you are in CA, I strongly recommend that you find an attorney who will offer a free or low cost consultation and run it by him/her first.

Better yet just change the dress code so that no skirts are allowed, male or female. Then if he shows up in a skirt, fire him for insubordination.

cyjeff

Better yet just change the dress code so that no skirts are allowed, male or female. Then if he shows up in a skirt, fire him for insubordination.
If the discrimination is illegal (and my memory tells me that, in California, it is), that policy and the resulting termination would be seen as the transparent antic that it is.

Perhaps a better suggestion is to insist on a professional appearance. If he wants to dress like a professional woman, why care?

My company has a satellite office in CA, and we have distinct dress code policies for men and women.

That being said, you should definitely check with a legal professional before implementing anything in CA. That state is just nuts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">