• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Safety/Health Violations in shop/Massachusetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

propman

My husband works in a machine shop where there are many code violations and safety/health violations. There is literally no ventilation at the machines, a grinder is used at the lunch table, oils and coolants are disposed of improperly, and so much more. Is it a wise plan to report these violations or can he be fired? With a constant ear infection, he misses time at work and they have used up most of his vacation pay to date. Should he put in a claim with Workers' Comp? Oh, and he was recently informed that his morning coffee break is a company benefit. I know what I would do...maybe someone can advise him in a different voice that he will hear!

L

loku

Whistleblower

First of all, he should get out of there. It sounds like he can permanently damage his health in such a place and the job is not worth that.

As for workman's comp. He was injured on the job, so he should qualify for workman's comp.

As to his rights, a “whistleblower” is an employee who reports to the government any violation (or suspicion of violation, with good cause) of state or federal laws by the employer. An employer may not fire a “whistleblower” for reporting violations, or for participating in any investigation or hearing involving violations in the workplace.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">