• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Primary borrower of my car loan now under guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beezul2882

Missouri

Almost two years ago I bought a car and was going to have my grandma be the co-signer. The car dealer put her as primary b/c she had a better credit score which got me a better rate. Both of our names are on the title and the note. I have made every single payment on time since the inception of the note. My grandmother is now in a nursing home and under guardianship of co-guardians (my mother and my uncle). My uncle is saying that I have to refinance now because she is under guardianship and can't be the primary borrower of anything. Is this true? Can she transfer the title to me so that I am the sole owner? Please help!

BlondiePB

Missouri

Almost two years ago I bought a car and was going to have my grandma be the co-signer. The car dealer put her as primary b/c she had a better credit score which got me a better rate. Both of our names are on the title and the note. I have made every single payment on time since the inception of the note. My grandmother is now in a nursing home and under guardianship of co-guardians (my mother and my uncle). My uncle is saying that I have to refinance now because she is under guardianship and can't be the primary borrower of anything. Is this true? Can she transfer the title to me so that I am the sole owner? Please help!
How can a co-owner transfer a car title when there's a loan on the car?

The problem here is that if you are in an accident, granny can be sued. The guardian is doing his job by protecting his ward. Refinance the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">