• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Excluding broker accounts from will / trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gmpreston

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I would like prepare a simplified will or trust that excludes such things as brokerage accounts, Pension account, IRA account and 401K account. I know that with all of these acccounts you can name a beneficiary for each type of account.

Can you prepare a will/trust that excludes all of the above items to make it as simple as possible ? I am thinking that this would reduce probate costs down the road.

I am single with a domestic partner that I would like to leave my home and vehicles to in a will / trust. No childern involved.

FlyingRon

Things with beneficiaries go to the beneficiary without having to be specifically excluded by a will. You probably don't want to specifically exclude these in case something odd happens (like the beneficiary predeceases you).

Things not owned by the trust are not affected by the trust.

If you have significant assets and a sticky inheritance situation, you might spend a small amount of money on a lawyer. An estate lawyer can provide for wills, trusts, and the best way to set up beneficiaries for you and your partner. She can also set up the appropriate general and medical power of attorneys (most important in the case where you are not married) and advance medical directives that will make things easier for you in difficult times.

anteater

Beneficiary designations take precedence over a will or a trust.

Do the paperwork to designate beneficiaries for the accounts and there is no reason to include/exclude them in the will/trust.

TrustUser

just remember that designated beneficiaries on accounts can die, and you forget to make any changes to the account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">