• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What will happen if...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sonoma123

I was arrested in W.V. for a misdemeanor embezzlement charge. I had a magistrate trial and a public defender. I was 100% innocent of this crime. My lawyer told me there was a good chance I could go to jail, so I decided to take the plea bargain. I have since moved to OH. My question is what would happen to me if I do not may the court what I said I would in the plea agreement? Can they do anything to me since I am now no longer a resident of that state?

FlyingRon

Certainly they can come after you. You think that just moving to another state absolves you from criminal sentences? They might not send someone out to find you, but you can be sure there will be a warrant out for your arrest and eventually it will catch up with you.

By agreeing to the plea you are 100% guilty of what you plead to. You need to comply with the sentence.

cyjeff

I was arrested in W.V. for a misdemeanor embezzlement charge. I had a magistrate trial and a public defender. I was 100% innocent of this crime. My lawyer told me there was a good chance I could go to jail, so I decided to take the plea bargain. I have since moved to OH. My question is what would happen to me if I do not may the court what I said I would in the plea agreement? Can they do anything to me since I am now no longer a resident of that state?
I am assuming you mean do you still have to adhere to your probation if you move out of state.

The answer is yes. Further, I want to find out if you got specific and written permission from your PO that you COULD move out of state.

And yes, they can do quite a lot to you...including giving you the original sentence up to and including any jail time.

sonoma123

clarifying

Okay I was never on probation or anything like that. I am supposed to pay the court a certain amount of money, thats it. I do not have that money. What will they do to me if I do not pay them?

joeyd1266

Hi there,

If you dont pay a plea bargin agreement which was based on your case on the specified date they will probably hit you with a warrant anyway.

Best thing to do is pay what you said in the agreement. If you need to change something it will most likely have to go in front of the judge and chances are because you already agreed they might not change it for you. That was the plea bargain and a deal is a deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">