• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why cant this be discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theresastone145

I am living in Georgia and have applied for several jobs where I have been turned down due to my credit. If my job dealt with money or travel I could understand this. On the last job I applied for I had previously worked for them for two years and was laid off by them because they filed reconstructive bankruptcy. I own my own paving company that has suffered greatly this last year and has affected my credit. Originally, i wanted to just supplement my income during this hard time and have insurance benefits. Now, it looks like i may have to close my company, file bankruptcy and stay unemployed. I am a single mother now and I cant get a job. Why has this not been considered discrimination yet? Or, if people are trying to fight this legally, how can I get involved?

cyjeff

You are being discriminated against.

However, it is not illegal discrimination.

I recommend being up front on your next interview, explaining the situation and putting your cards on the table.

It's not like they won't find out anyway.

ecmst12

Not all companies run credit checks on prospective employees, but some do. I won't comment on whether using this as hiring criteria is a good idea or not, but it's not illegal to do so. Keep looking for companies that do not base hiring decisions on credit score.

Why has this not been considered discrimination yet?
To answer the original question you titled the post with, it can't be discrimination because your credit can't be affected by factors like race, gender, national origin etc - ergo, your credit score has nothing to do with any form of illegal discrimination.

Lenders are very highly scrutinized over whether they're basing decisions on protected factors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">