• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary signs up for the miltary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bgelliott

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I am the excator of my father estate. We are closing out the estate now but one of the beneficiary has signed up for the Army. I can not belive my lawyer when she said it is going to hold things up and we will not be able to close the estate until he is out of the miltary. Is that true also can I still disburst the money.

xylene

People in the Army have some rights to pospone or defer civil matters.

Is this person who is joining the Army actively or trying to contest the distribution?

You need to give us more insight as to why the lawyer stated this.

bgelliott

I have no idea why my attorney stated that. She metion that while they are in the miltary they can not be served cival papers. My concern is closing the account and hearing the crap from other peoplr getting the money. The way I took her explantation is that all money will not be allow to disburst until he is out of the miltary.

xylene

If your attorney is unable to explain or justify the advice then contact another lawyer.

Dandy Don

This doesn't sound very believable. The attorney or someone else can ask the military person to leave an address and/or phone number where he can be contacted and also leave this information with his next-of-kin so that he can be contacted in an emergency.

bgelliott

I have that question into my attorney now. I was hoping that someone would know the answer to that question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">