• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wallieann

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I was on disability for the last year and the doctor has now released me to return to work. My employer could not hold my job so will I be able to draw unemployment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under normal circumstances I'd say yes, but I see a potential problem.

While I have no specific information about Mississippi, in most if not all states you must have worked x number of weeks or earned y number of dollars in the past year to fifteen months before you can collect. If you have been out on disabilty for a year, it's likely that you have not met the minimum requirements to collect at this time.

It is certainly worth a try, but under the situation you describe, I cannot give you the unqualified yes that I would give if your leave were of a shorter duration.

Beth3

Sorry, no. The UC Division only considers hours worked and wages earned when determining UC eligibilty.

badknees2

Not sure if this is the right place

I've been off on temporary diability for my knees and have just recently gone back to work. They are now offering voluntary lay-offs. If I choose to take the lay-off, will I be eligible for unemployment benefits?
P.S, I'm in Indiana.

wallieann

OK, I hope I don't sound stupid but when I received my Notice of Monetary Benefit Determination it showed that they are basing it off of $12,888.79 that I earned from 7-07 to 12-07 and $13,162.74 that I earned from 1-08 to 06-08 and that my weekly benefit would be 230.00 if approved. As I said before, part of this was paid as disability by my employer. Will my approval be determined on the base period 7/01/07-06/30/08?
Thanks for your assistance.

wallieann

Well, while I was on short term disability (6months) my income came from my company and then when I went on long term (3 months) it came from an insurance co. that they used so basically I don't know. Sorry.

pattytx

Well, while I was on short term disability (6months) my income came from my company and then when I went on long term (3 months) it came from an insurance co. that they used so basically I don't know. Sorry.
OK, let's ask it this way. Were taxes withheld from your disability pay?

wallieann

Taxes were taken out of my short term disability but not my long term disability, they asked me if I wanted them taken out but my acct manager told me that people usually don't have them taken out. Does that help?

pattytx

Sounds like maybe this was an employer-paid salary continuation plan (although for disability, could be for other reasons), which would be reportable wages for UI purposes. Generally speaking, at least in my experience, the only employers who pay disability benefits under a bona fide "plan" (which would not be reportable for UI wages) are those employers who are self-insured.

Oh, and the base period would be as you stated if you opened the claim in October-December 2008.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">