• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedAdvice77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
Question #1 - I was laidoff 7 months ago, was collecting NJ unemployment & then worked 4 weeks for a temporary agency. When the assignment ended, the agency did not have another assignment for me so I reopened my unemployment claim. I have now been scheduled for an unemployment phone hearing/interview because "you may have quit your job". I did not quit, the agency has not offered me any new assignments although I have been in weekly contact with them. The agency has even arranged two recent interviews for me. Will my claim be denied? Is the temp agency trying to keep me from collecting unemployment benefits?

Question #2 - I signed an employment agreement with the temp agency setting the minimum hourly rate at $16.00. The 4 week assignment I completed was for $12.00 per hour. Going forward, can I insist that the assignments I accept pay the agreed upon minimum of $16.00 per hour?

ecmst12

You should be calling the temp agency DAILY for assignments, not weekly.

If you refuse an assignment because it pays $12 per hour instead of $16, your UC claim WILL be denied.

The UC board is just reviewing your case. I can't predict the future but if you can show that you have not turned down any work and have been making the required effort to find employment, you should not have a problem.

NeedAdvice77

Follow-up Question - Minimum Hourly Rate

Thanks for your reply. I have a follow-up question: What was the purpose of our both signing the employment agreement which included a minimum hourly rate? Have I invalidated the minimum by previously accepting a lesser hourly rate?

ecmst12

I don't know what the purpose of the agreement was, but I know if you voluntarily turn down work, regardless of how little it pays, you become ineligible for UC. If the pay is low enough, you may still qualify for partial benefits while working, but if you refuse the job, you get NO benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">