• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blizzelda

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
:confused:

My employer of 2 years (where i have been working as an IC) told me today that he had been hearing some rumors about me that he was not happy with and wanted to do some further investigating before even mentioning anything to me, but to go home and call him tomorrow.

Then 20 minutes later i hear from other members of management that i am friendly with that they heard i had just been fired. I have seen this happen to other employees and the way it will go is that they will just ignore my phone call or email and lock me out of the workplace if I try to go in and speak with them

So my questions are:

Do you have to have "just cause" to fire an independent contractor?
Or do they at least have TELL me I have been let go and why?

If I try to go in and get my contract of employment with them, are they under legal obligation to give it to me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

pattytx

If you are an IC, your contract should have contained provisions regarding "termination" or cessation of work. If it did not, "just cause" is a moot point.

blizzelda

Yes. I know that. But I'm under the assumption that they will refuse to give it to me. In which case I would like to know if I can demand it from them stating that they are legally obligated to give me a copy. I dont want to say that and then have them laugh in my face bc i am incorrect

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">