• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Parking ticket - help to plead Not Guilty in person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drunkpiano

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I got a parking ticket in NYC before entering holland tunnel last night, $115 charge, code 09 - obstructing the intersection. I am thinking of things to support my plea of not guilty -

1. When I started moving, I was in a line of moving traffic.

2. I was forced to wait in the middle of intersection for about 30 seconds - a police woman wanted me to let another car pass (cuz there was a police car blocking the road). (If not for that, I should be able to clear intersection.) Then she directed me to drive into a triangle zone (later I found out that was a place to give tickets - there were half a dozen of cops, and half a dozen of cars were given tickets at the same time… the car behind me was also caught, but the car on my right side was not caught).

3. The police agent who signed my parking ticket was another person, who did not see me violate traffic code.

4. My name on ticket only had my last name, not my full name, because the agent did nto ask me to show her any of my documents.

I am not sure if any (or all) of the above can help me dismiss this ticket?

Another question - in the ticket, if I choose to plead 'not guilty', I can go to an office at any workday time. So what is gonna be the procedure? Can I get my result on the first visit? How can the police who signed me the parking ticket show up to fight against me?

Last edited:

drunkpiano

After some research, I feel that #3 might be the critical point to help me win...

If the police who signed ticket was not the one who witnessed, then both parties need to be present on court if I asked so.

Likelihood that both of them will be present is tiny. If one fails to show up, then I could win.

Does my logic make sense?

You Are Guilty

After some research, I feel that #3 might be the critical point to help me win...

If the police who signed ticket was not the one who witnessed, then both parties need to be present on court if I asked so.

Likelihood that both of them will be present is tiny. If one fails to show up, then I could win.

Does my logic make sense?
Only if its a moving violation. I vaguely recall seeing something saying that this charge was recently reclassified as a parking ticket (in order to allow the Brownies to write them, instead of only NYPD). If my recollection is accurate and it is a parking violation, no one for the City need appear in court if you contest it, the ticket itself is the evidence against you.

If you search this site, you'll find a number of posts dealing with the valid (and invalid) bases for fighting a NYC parking ticket.

Good luck, and stop blocking the box ;)

delivernote

Obstructing Traffic at Intersection, Parking Violation

Got a white parking violation ticket for obstructing traffic at intersection (e)(12) ticket (VC# 09) by a traffic/parking officer while I was driving into NYC. Was approached and driver's license was given to her. The ticket does not have my full name nor my driver's license number, only my last name. Is this a defective ticket? I was also trapped into this situation. I have a alternative defense, but if defective ticket works, I'll use it. Thanks.

otroyansky

I just received a ticket for an identical situation

This is now classified as a parking violation - not a moving violation in NYC. I was basically trapped into this ticket. The police officers stand at intersections, disabling me from moving my car out of the way...and then I get a ticket for blocking the intersection. Total corruption! I am fighting this!!!!! need help myself.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Start your own thread. But, if you can't make it through the intersection, don't enter the intersection. It's really drivers ed 101 stuff...

otroyansky

Drivers 101 - yes I know that! But the cop purposefully got in my way so that I can't make it all the way across and gave tickets out to every wave of cars that came across. These are the new tricks cops pull to extract $$ out of NYC drivers...its complete corruption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">