• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car towed after expiration tabs were stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sabine83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I live in Michigan and my car's registration is up to date but apparently somebody stole my expiration tabs on the license plate. Anyway, I didn't notice and the apartment manager put a notice on it Monday afternoon. Yesterday was my day off and when I went to my car today, it was gone. Long story short, the apartment manager authorized a tow. I explained that I had no chance to act as my car was under a mountain off snow and I was enjoying my day off. The manager didn't care. When I talked to the towing company, they actually told me, they checked my car's registration and it wasn't expired but someone just simply took the tabs off.

So, I still have to pay to get my car back but is there anything I can do to get my money back as the apartment complex didn't give me enough notice and should have checked with me whether or not the tabs were really expired?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I live in Michigan and my car's registration is up to date but apparently somebody stole my expiration tabs on the license plate. Anyway, I didn't notice and the apartment manager put a notice on it Monday afternoon. Yesterday was my day off and when I went to my car today, it was gone. Long story short, the apartment manager authorized a tow. I explained that I had no chance to act as my car was under a mountain off snow and I was enjoying my day off. The manager didn't care. When I talked to the towing company, they actually told me, they checked my car's registration and it wasn't expired but someone just simply took the tabs off.

So, I still have to pay to get my car back but is there anything I can do to get my money back as the apartment complex didn't give me enough notice and should have checked with me whether or not the tabs were really expired?
Instead of "enjoying your day off" why weren't you getting the tabs replaced? It is not their job to "check with you" about your tabs. You knew the tabs were gone, you should have made replacing them a priority.

Remember, the longer your car sits in the tow yard, the more expensive it will be to get out.

Sabine83

Instead of "enjoying your day off" why weren't you getting the tabs replaced? It is not their job to "check with you" about your tabs. You knew the tabs were gone, you should have made replacing them a priority.

Remember, the longer your car sits in the tow yard, the more expensive it will be to get out.
I didn't realize that my tabs were stolen. I never claimed I knew the tabs were stolen. I was told by the towing company when I wanted to know how to get my car back! I would have went to replace them. Anyway, thanks for the lecture :mad:

Last edited:

Antigone*

I didn't realize that my tabs were stolen. I never claimed I knew the tabs were stolen. I was told by the towing company when I wanted to know how to get my car back! I would have went to replace them. Anyway, thanks for the lecture :mad:
Your story does not add up here: So if you didn't know, then what was the notice your landlord placed on your vehicle?

Anyway, I didn't notice and the apartment manager put a notice on it Monday afternoon.
Again...another story

Long story short, the apartment manager authorized a tow. I explained that I had no chance to act as my car was under a mountain off snow and I was enjoying my day off.
Take your checkbook to pick up your car ~ the responsibility is yours alone.

And you're welcome...

Sabine83

Your story does not add up here: So if you didn't know, then what was the notice your landlord placed on your vehicle?

Again...another story

Take your checkbook to pick up your car ~ the responsibility is yours alone.

And you're welcome...
Alright, I will rephrase for you. I talked to the manager today, he told me he put a notice on it on Monday afternoon. I worked Monday morning, was off on Tuesday. Then my car was towed. I reported it stolen. The police realized it was towed and gave me the number to the towing company. I talked to a very nice lady who told me, that apparently someone had taken the expiration tab off of the license plate, but they had checked it and the registration is up to date. However, the apartment complex towed it anyway with only a day notice... which I didn't see because I had a day off. Are you happy now??? If not, don't answer.

Last edited:

Antigone*

Alright, I will rephrase for you. I talked to the manager today, he told me he put a notice on it on Monday afternoon. I worked Monday morning, was off on Tuesday. Then my car was towed. I reported it stolen. The police realized it was towed and gave me the number to the towing company. I talked to a very nice lady who told me, that apparently someone had taken the expiration tab off of the license plate, but they had checked it and the registration is up to date. However, the apartment complex towed it anyway with only a day notice... which I didn't see because I had a day off. Are you happy now??? If not, don't answer.
Thrilled :D ...and yes you still have to pay to get your car back.

Roo

Well, I know I have to pay, I am just wondering if I can get my money back from the apartment complex... but never mind I might actually ask someone that knows the law in Michigan.
You can ask, but it might be a tough go.
Reason: Complex sees a car with no tabs.
They have no way (or obligation) to find out the car's tabs were stolen, they just know it doesn't have current ones. Expired tabs=tow.
They did leave a notice before calling the tow company, it's just unfortunate that you didn't see it in time.

It would be hard to fault them, given the facts.
Still, it won't cost you anything to ask.

Sabine83

You can ask, but it might be a tough go.
Reason: Complex sees a car with no tabs.
They have no way (or obligation) to find out the car's tabs were stolen, they just know it doesn't have current ones. Expired tabs=tow.
They did leave a notice before calling the tow company, it's just unfortunate that you didn't see it in time.

It would be hard to fault them, given the facts.
Still, it won't cost you anything to ask.
Thanks. I kind of solved the problem myself. One of my neighbors apparently stole my tab and continued to park in the same parking lot. I happened to see a lose tab on his plates and was just going to take a picture to show the apartment complex that indeed someone was stealing tabs. Crazy enough, I noticed the tab was expiring the same month as mine and then I saw it had my license plate number on the upper right side. I called the cops as I was told to report the tab stolen anyway.

Long story short, the person's license plates were expired and he used mine to not get towed off the lot. Well, the cop towed his car anyway, his license was suspended and he has to pay more money in fees and fines than my tow cost. Plus, I also will be going after him in a small claims court (not really expecting him to be able to pay after all the fees, but for the principal.) I also informed my apartment complex and they are planning on evicting this guy.

Oh, and a quick tip from a Secretary of State employee was, that after I put my tab on, I should use a box cutter to cut it, so that when someone tries to take it off again, it will rip apart. She also told me, it is very common in Michigan to have the tabs stolen.

Antigone*

Thanks. I kind of solved the problem myself. One of my neighbors apparently stole my tab and continued to park in the same parking lot. I happened to see a lose tab on his plates and was just going to take a picture to show the apartment complex that indeed someone was stealing tabs. Crazy enough, I noticed the tab was expiring the same month as mine and then I saw it had my license plate number on the upper right side. I called the cops as I was told to report the tab stolen anyway.

Long story short, the person's license plates were expired and he used mine to not get towed off the lot. Well, the cop towed his car anyway, his license was suspended and he has to pay more money in fees and fines than my tow cost. Plus, I also will be going after him in a small claims court (not really expecting him to be able to pay after all the fees, but for the principal.) I also informed my apartment complex and they are planning on evicting this guy.

Oh, and a quick tip from a Secretary of State employee was, that after I put my tab on, I should use a box cutter to cut it, so that when someone tries to take it off again, it will rip apart. She also told me, it is very common in Michigan to have the tabs stolen.
Don't waste your time suing him if you are only doing this based on principle. Now if you are going to sue him for money (principal) you might as well ask for interest :D

Good luck...suing is the easy part. Collections is another story.

Sabine83

Don't waste your time suing him if you are only doing this based on principle. Now if you are going to sue him for money (principal) you might as well ask for interest :D

Good luck...suing is the easy part. Collections is another story.
Haha, I didn't even realize my faux pas. I guess my ESL came through. Anyway, I'll probably change my mind on the suing part (I am horribly lazy when it comes to fighting pointless battles), but right now I am still mad at him. But I guess having to pay more than $1000 and having his license suspended, is justice enough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">