• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forced to quit job.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimmy196791

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah. I had an altercation with my boss in the meeting i said well maybe i should start looking for another job. To which he replied ok i'll go get your release forms and go start packing up your tools. I left my work and when i came back i found my tool box and tools locked in the shop storage unit. And to get my tools out of the storage unit my boss made me sign a paper saying that i quit. Can he do this? Simply just because i said i would start looking for another job he forced me into a situation where i had to quit.

Let's put it this way: you either quit, or you were fired for insubordination. Frankly, I'd imagine you'd rather have a "quit" on your record, rather than a "fired".

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sounds to me like you quit.

Don't ever, ever, ever tell an employer that "maybe you should start looking for a new job" unless you are prepared to have him take you at your word, effective immediately.

Beth3

Simply just because i said i would start looking for another job he forced me into a situation where i had to quit. Actually, you forced yourself into that situation. You got into an argument with your boss and then said you were going to start looking for another job. Of course he decided to take you up on your offer...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">