• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I beat this Los Angeles parking ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The other day I parked in a section of town that I had not been to in over 6 months. They have always had metered parking there before but on this day all the meters were gone. The meter poles were still there but looking up and down the street the tops (meters) were all missing. I didn't see any signs regarding parking so I assumed that they must be in the process or replacing the meters and it was my lucky day and I didn't have to pay the meter...how could I?

Well when I came back to my car it had a ticket. It was pointed out to me that about 4-5 car spaces ahead of me and 4-5 spaces behind me that there is a centralized pay station and that the space has a small number painted on the sidewalk next to it that you use to pay for your spot. The reason I say it was "pointed out to me" is that from my parking space these centralized pay stations are about 95-98% blocked by trees and signs. Both the one ahead and behind my space. I took a lot of pictures so i have proof of this if needed.

The ticket is $45 and if they call me in it's about an hour drive in and another hour drive back. So it will be worth it if I have a good chance to win but not worth it if i don't.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You don't have a very strong case. Only you can decide if it's "worth" fighting.

grimm

You don't have a very strong case. Only you can decide if it's "worth" fighting.
True...but if you could help me understand why I don't have a strong case that would help me decide. I was thinking that I had a strong case. There is no reasonably visible signage and the empty meter poles are still there as if they are being upgraded or replaced.

I_Got_Banned

Actually, you don't have a case at all. Typically, the signs stating the metered parking times are more covered by trees, electric poles... etc. And if the meters were there, you would have probably walked over to one of those signs to check the times...

Usually when you're in an unfamiliar area, it is your responsibility to take the time to familiarize yourself with that areas laws and regulations. And this just happens to be one of them...

Also, considering that fact that you failed to see the new electronic meters, and in the slight chance that you parked across the street from your destination (50/50 chance), would suggest that you may have also crossed the street in the middle of the block rather than walking up or down to the crosswalk... in other words, you "Jaywalked".

So along with the $45 payment that you must submit by the due date stated on the parking citation, please include an additional $104.00 for violation of California Vehicle Code Section 21955 "Crossing Between Controlled Intersections (Jaywalking)".

The City of Los Angeles welcomes you here at any time.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

It is annoying but maybe the $45 is worth paying because even with the drive your time and peace of mind have got to be worth more than $45. Hope it helps.
fr4nk, no comment on your post... Your signature, however, might not be the most appropriate considering there maybe a few members on here (NO, I AM NOT ONE OF THEM) who can't get things hard.... If you know what I mean... And I don't think the type of help that you're offering would be the type of help they're looking for.

grimm

Actually, you don't have a case at all. Typically, the signs stating the metered parking times are more covered by trees, electric poles... etc. And if the meters were there, you would have probably walked over to one of those signs to check the times...

Usually when you're in an unfamiliar area, it is your responsibility to take the time to familiarize yourself with that areas laws and regulations. And this just happens to be one of them...
Well like I said...I was familiar with the area and the changes were made since i was last there. Before the "metered parking times" were posted on the meters themselves so there were no idependent signs posted down the street to go look for.

Also, considering that fact that you failed to see the new electronic meters, and in the slight chance that you parked across the street from your destination (50/50 chance), would suggest that you may have also crossed the street in the middle of the block rather than walking up or down to the crosswalk... in other words, you "Jaywalked".

So along with the $45 payment that you must submit by the due date stated on the parking citation, please include an additional $104.00 for violation of California Vehicle Code Section 21955 "Crossing Between Controlled Intersections (Jaywalking)".

The City of Los Angeles welcomes you here at any time.
Actually I parked in front of the place i was going to...so no need to walk down the street or to cross the street.

grimm

It is annoying but maybe the $45 is worth paying because even with the drive your time and peace of mind have got to be worth more than $45. Hope it helps.
I got laid off so I'm mostly unemployed right now..taking freelance jobs here and there...so i could really use the $45. I won't lose any pay by going just the cost of a couple gallons of gas and my time.

It's just seems crooked to me the way they have it setup.

CdwJava

It is not generally a crime to cross the street. Unless you cross in a block between two "controlled" intersection (which means that they use signal lights), a pedestrian can generally cross the road so long as they do not interfere with traffic (CVC 21950, 21954).

- Carl

I_Got_Banned

Actually I parked in front of the place i was going to...so no need to walk down the street or to cross the street.
Sure you did... You can tell it to the Judge. But for now... L A needs your money!:mad:

I'm just kidding you off course... And sorry to hear about the job.. It's a tough environment out there... But that's when the tough get going.

Good luck with the job search as well as with L.A.'s parking enforcement...

It's just seems crooked to me the way they have it setup.
Crooked? Not sure why... There has been a few lots in L A that have used the same idea to charge for parking for a long time. Some parking structures also have begun to utilize centralized parking payment machines... So you get off the elevator, pay for parking, slip your stub in the machine and you're out. You can use cash and/or debit/credit....
Its actually more flexible and convenient...

I_Got_Banned

It is not generally a crime to cross the street. Unless you cross in a block between two "controlled" intersection (which means that they use signal lights), a pedestrian can generally cross the road so long as they do not interfere with traffic (CVC 21950, 21954).

- Carl
You dont understand Carl.... L. A. needs the money :mad:

But wait.... (let me use another memorable quote): "Wait a sec. Stop rocking my boat". Whatever happended to Poncho anyways?

CdwJava

You dont understand Carl.... L. A. needs the money :mad:
But, when one person challenges one of these cites, they lose more money than they would receive on 15 or more. So, it would not behoove them to write citations they know they will lose. :)

But wait.... (let me use another memorable quote): "Wait a sec. Stop rocking my boat". Whatever happended to Poncho anyways?
I don't know ... my blood pressure has dropped since he disappeared.

- Carl

grimm

You have nothing to lose by going in to fight this (or simply tell your side of the story), so go in and try it.
Nothing to lose except the $45...I may have a strong case if I present it right...or i could screw things up by focusing on irrelevant information. That's why when one user here said "you don't have a very strong case" and another says "you don't have a case at all" I'd like to know why they think that.

grimm

Sure you did... You can tell it to the Judge. But for now... L A needs your money!:mad:
You're right...I was thinking how can I prove that i was parked in front of the place I went to..then I remembered that in one of my pictures you can see my car and the place I was going to. Then it also occurred to me that the ticket also shows the address of where I was parked.

Crooked? Not sure why... There has been a few lots in L A that have used the same idea to charge for parking for a long time. Some parking structures also have begun to utilize centralized parking payment machines... So you get off the elevator, pay for parking, slip your stub in the machine and you're out. You can use cash and/or debit/credit....
Its actually more flexible and convenient...
Not the actual system itself...just in the way the signs are blocked. In a parking structure you are forced to walk by the payment machines as they are located next to the elevators/stairs and exit. On the street not everyone will park near or walk near these locations so they need to be visible from 4-6 spaces away. Right now they have a tree that is just tall enough to block the signage only a foot away from sign. That's what i mean by crooked....it's like posting the "tow away" sign at the top of a 30 foot wall were most people would not notice it when you could just as easily post it at an 8 foot level were most people would see it.

grimm

BTW....another reason I'm searching for advice is that the first step of the process is an "Administrative Review" of the ticket that I can do online. If that doesn't go well then I can request an "Administrative Hearing" and then I will be required to travel downtown. So I want to make as strong a case as possible in the "Administrative Review" to avoid needing to make the trip if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">