• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marjorie beechu

My mother died and left her house to her husband. My sister and I just found that he had abandoned the property, and rented an apartment. He did not pay the taxes, and the house is two months behind in mortgage. My sister and I will recieve the house in case of his death, he has lifetime rights to the house. What should my sister and I do?

MarjorieWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North CarolinaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? What does only U.S. law mean?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? EdentonWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm giving you the name of my state Edenton, us only. Yes only U.S. law, the state is Edenton N.C. why are you still asking for the state it's Edenton, N.C.

anteater

Please delete your duplicate posts.

"Left her house to her husband.." sounds like he owns the house. While "...he has lifetime rights to the house" sounds like he only has a life estate and you and sister are the remaindermen. Can you clarify? How does the deed to the property actually read now?

If he only has a life estate, then you and sister consult with a real estate attorney to determine what you need to do to claim abandonment of the life estate by the husband.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Of course, if she did outright leave it to her husband. Then the fact that he's squandering their potential inheritance is possibly not actionable. If it is a life estate they can pursue an action for the "waste" however.

You need to get a lawyer to look into the wording of both the will and the subsequent deed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">