• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking advantage of elder parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jashimala

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Indiana

My father has my brother (known drug additct) living with him. I recently found out he has been writing checks to him daily in amounts ranging from $185 - $300. My father is 77 years old and just inherited $250,000. My brother will go through this within a year. I have Power of Attorney over my dad. I got this when he was hospitalized a year ago. I am also listed on his checking account, but not directly on the checks. My father does not listen to reason when it comes to my brother (he is 44 years old). Is there any legal way I can keep my father from giving away his life savings to this drug addict?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

SIN EATER

If Dad is still competent, then he can revoke the POA he gave you.

You can try to convince Dad to put the money in an account which requires two signatures (yours & Dad's), or invest in buying something for Dad (pay off his house, buy Dad a new house, an R.V, send Dad on a cruise, send Dad to travel & visit other relatives, whatever would make Dad happy)

... how about buying Dad a house in a retirement community where no one under 50 can reside in the house ??

Unless you can think of a better way Dad would want to spend his $, Dad can do whatever he wants with the money ...

Why can't Dad live with you if your brother is predatory ??

jashimala

Thanks for the reply.

Dad is very stubborn. He believes the lies my brother tells him e.g., he has a job, he's getting paid next week, he doesn't take drugs, etc. Dad would never think of leaving his home. I believe, but have not proof, that my brother threatens my father. He has also stolen almost all dads furniture while he was hospitalized. Dad would like to go to Florida, but I'm afraid my brother will wipe him out of everything once he leaves the house. I feel like my hands are tied!

SIN EATER

Well, don't listen to me, but ...
I would convince Dad to blow all the money on Dad.

Convince Dad to lavish himself with all the things Dad's wanted.

Have Dad leave the darn house (who cares if bro sells everything) & tell Dad you & bro' are fine & Dad should just concentrate on having one heck of a good decade.
... maybe put 60,000 in a fund for Dad's emergencies after he blows the rest.

I love to see old people kicking up their heels !!!

jashimala

I LOVE your attitude! Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try talking dad into living it up!
Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">