• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights to sue for cost of repairing home improvements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CJBiondo630

Today I was in Special Civil Court in New Jersey because I was sued for monies owed to a subcontractor. I was sued in the amount of $25,000.00. all transactions were made in cash and the subcontractor had poor records. The issue of poor workmanship was mentioned but not pursued as part of the case. I tried to prove the best I could that the bills were paid in full according to records available. The subcontractor won $2,800.00 based on what the judge felt he was still owed for his work. Since I did not counter-sue for poor workmanship and repairs that need to be done can I file a new complaint not a countersuit against him for the cost I will incur to fix mistakes. While we were in court the only thing said was that both sides agreed not to make the mistakes/repairs an issue in the present matter. Now that this is settled can I file my own suit in small claims court?

JETX

Unless the issue of poor workmanship was adjudicated in your recent action, you should not be precluded from a further filing on an unresolved matter.

However, you need to be aware of the appearance of a retaliation suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">