• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marri12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania I was a manager of a department at a very fine upscale department store. Two of the women who were on my team went to HR and my store Gm and told several lies. The first time I was told to talk to each team member which I did. Everyone siad that I was doing a good job and were more than happy to come to me if they had any disputes. Yesterday this same women and one other went to the GM with yet more lies. I have worked forthis company for two years and not only have an unblemished record, but have gotten several promotions. Yesterday my GM told me he was pulling me from my position but that he would help me find a sales position in another department. These are out and out lies and neither the GM or HR have given me the opportunity to dispute them. They will now stay in my personnel file and hinder my moving up in the company. Do I have any recourse?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not within the legal system, no. At least not as far as the employer is concerned.

A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you did not do. It means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law. In any case, you have not lost your job - you are only being transferred.

IF at some point in future you can prove (and the burden of proof WILL be on you) that first, the statements made by the other women were knowingly false (as opposed to a difference of opinion, a misunderstanding, an honest error where they believed mistakenly that they were speaking the truth, etc.) AND that as a direct result of these statements, you suffered ACTUAL damages (not anticipated damages in the future) then you may be able to take legal action against them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">