• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an executor be liable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2Bfree

Someone gave me the link for this place,
I'm not sure if I'm in the right place. I'm in Australia.

Its hard to ask that question without a long story of events but I will try. -(2nd (main)question at bottom of post)

I haven't spoken to my father in over 2 years. (Its a long story)
After seemingly using me and my sister in a legal battle with his step family after his second wife died, he found a new woman, he sold up his property (that he basically promised to leave to his own kids) and payed off the step family them to get rid of them so he could live in piece (we were ok with that), after ahe then chose to practically character assassinate me and my sister and accuse us of being after his estate (that me and my sister had already accepted as gone). He only has a little house and we accepted/realised years ago that we don't have any material gain to inherit. I don't really care I make my own way anyhow.

Unfortunately, he is a Head Case! with delusions of grandeur and he really is quite poisonous to interact with.

After his accusations and his explosion of rage he delivered to me in the last phone call I had with him I told him to stick his whole life up where the sun doesn't shine and I haven't spoken to him since. Life for me is pretty good (without him in it).

Just before Christmas he relays a message to me through my (kind, soft, diplomatic, polite mother) that he requests that I be executor of his will! I am aware that this task is usually appointed to someone rather than requested.

From my experience with him I can not trust his frame of mind. I want to stand my ground. I want to reject his request but also protect myself from being burdened with an ugly mess, I am afraid of his negative spiteful vindictive mentality and that he could very likely try to make my life miserable in some way.

His new woman has an attitude that all kids are vultures waiting for you to die.

I have also heard word that my father and her have been seen in (the pokies).
I fear the worst considering their mentality and expect awful possibilities that they want to act in spite, or leave behind a nasty legacy or burden just like my step mum did to my father. (a long story but my step mum basically conspired against my father for 11 years and re-wrote the will which led to this whole mess.)

I want to free myself of this poison.

I have accepted to be executor for my Mother and Step Father who I dearly love. They are,,um,, quite poor but true to each other. There is no material gain to be had but a possibility that there estate wont cover all expenses.

My basic question is: Can an executor be burdened with, or liable for dept of any kind?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">