• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

s4brats

Hi, My problem is this we went to a small used car dealership and like an idiot bought a 96 Pontiac Grand Voager as an "as is" my problem is we have not even had the van 2 weeks and the transmision is completly shot, I have not even made my first payment... so my question is is there anyway that I can have the dealer pay for it? leagaly? They have had the van for almost 5 days now and say they will get back to us on what they can do, but they keep trying to tell us that it is an electrical problem that is causing the moter not to rergister when it needs to shift- only we had our macanic look at it and change the fluids, in which there was shavings in the pan, and after we had the fluids changed is when it got realy bad, so if anyone has any ideas or laws that may help i would realy apriciate it by the way i am in Califorina if that helps

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

California's Lemon Law - California Civil Code Section 1793.22
California's consumer warranty law requires the manufacturer of a new motor vehicle leased or sold with a manufacturer's written warranty to repair the vehicle during the warranty period so that it conforms to the warranty. The vehicle may be a new car, van, truck or the chassis portion of a motorhome, but it must have been purchased or leased for nonbusiness use. The Lemon Law applies to used vehicles only when they are still covered by the Manufacturer's original warranty.

If the manufacturer or dealer cannot fix the vehicle to conform to the warranty within a "reasonable" number of repair attempts during the entire period that the warranty is in effect, then the manufacturer must replace the vehicle or reimburse the buyer or lessee for its purchase price, whichever the consumer prefers (less a mileage offset for the consumer's use of the vehicle prior to the first repair attempt).

The Lemon Law uses a presumption as a guideline for determining whether a "reasonable" number of repair attempts have been made on a new vehicle. In order for the buyer or lessee to use the Lemon Law presumption, all of the following must be true:

The manufacturer or its agents have made four or more attempts to repair the same problem, or the vehicle has been out of service for more than 30 days (not necessarily all at the same time) while being prepared for any number of problems.

The four repair attempts or 30 days out of service have occurred within 12 months of the vehicle's delivery to the consumer or 12,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

The problems are covered by the warranty, substantially reduce the vehicle's use, value or safety to the consumer, and are not caused by abuse of the vehicle.

If required by the warranty materials or by the owner's manual, the consumer has directly notified the manufacturer about the problem(s).

If all of these criteria are met, the Lemon Law presumes that the buyer or lessee is entitled to a replacement vehicle or a refund. However, a replacement or refund may not be automatic; the manufacturer is entitled to prove that no problem exists, that a reasonable number of repair attempts have not been made, or that the problem does not substantially impair the vehicle's use, value or safety. Even if your car does not fit the presumption criteria, you may still be entitled to a buy back if you show that your vehicle has been in for a reasonable number of times or cannot be repaired.
Note that if the manufacturer provides a certified arbitration program, the buyer or lessee must submit the dispute to the program before he or she can sue the Lemon Law presumption in a lawsuit against the manufacturer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">