• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change in hiring conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dpleon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am currently going through the hiring process for a fire department. When I applied and took the test they did not require a physical agility test. That was over a year ago I went through the process. Now that I am going to get hired, they state I need to complete a physical agility test before I can get hired. Can they change the hiring requirements and make people who tested prior to the change adhere to the changes as a condition of employment?

Perky

How was it that you feel you were not required to perform an ability test to be hired? ALL Fire Department entrances REQUIRE an agility test. So short answer is that they did not change the requirements, they were just enforcing the ones that were already there.

Source:
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/fstems/documents/hiring_standards_explained_8_04A.pdf

Pay attention to condition C after Supporting Documentation
I agree with your response, but your source is from New Hampshire. Here is a California source:

Fire Fighters

Last edited:

dpleon

They never had a requirement in the past for this specific test. They just strated requiring this specific test 6 months ago

How was it that you feel you were not required to perform an ability test to be hired? ALL Fire Department entrances REQUIRE an agility test. So short answer is that they did not change the requirements, they were just enforcing the ones that were already there.

Source:
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/fstems/documents/hiring_standards_explained_8_04A.pdf

Pay attention to condition C after Supporting Documentation

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, let's cut to the chase here.

I am currently going through the hiring process for a fire department.

Okay.

When I applied and took the test they did not require a physical agility test.

That was then. This is now.

That was over a year ago I went through the process.

Okay.

Now that I am going to get hired, they state I need to complete a physical agility test before I can get hired.

This is the rule now.

Can they change the hiring requirements and make people who tested prior to the change adhere to the changes as a condition of employment?

Yes.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
does the employer need to give reasonable notification for the applicant to meet the changes?
Yes.
But, you'll have to define reasonable :rolleyes:

To me, it would be unreasonable to ask you to show up to work and THEN tell you.

I'm sure your thoughts on "reasonable" will differ.

Please note: This answer was given a bit tongue in cheek. You know about the change...you got notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">