• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My motorcycle was in storage... found out it had been towed... 3 months later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattgroza

CALIFORNIA-- I used to live in an apartment complex with a garage underneath. I had arranged with the parking supervisor to put it there unofficially. When a new guy became the new parking supervisor he had it towed. It happened over three months ago and I wasn't aware of it. Now the Towing company wants over $7000 for storage fees. It was my fault that it was towed but I should have been notified since I didn't check on it regularly like i would if i was using it everyday. I contacted them after finding out it was towed and they say that the DMV is responsible for notifying me that it had been towed. I contacted the DMV and they say that the Towing company is responsible for it. Is the towing company allowed to continue to store the vehicle, accruing charges beyond its value, without notifying the registered owner that it is in their possession?

The Occultist

CALIFORNIA-- I used to live in an apartment complex with a garage underneath. I had arranged with the parking supervisor to put it there unofficially.
Unofficially? Uh Oh!

When a new guy became the new parking supervisor he had it towed.
I probably would have done the same thing.

It happened over three months ago and I wasn't aware of it.
Highly unfortunate.

Now the Towing company wants over $7000 for storage fees.
For three months of storage? Yeah, that sounds about right.

It was my fault that it was towed
Agreed.

but I should have been notified since I didn't check on it regularly like i would if i was using it everyday.
Should have? There are certainly no laws requiring this. And since your agreement was "unofficial" and not any sort of signed contract, they're still not required to inform you. It was certainly rude of everybody to not inform you, but they still had no obligation.

I contacted them after finding out it was towed and they say that the DMV is responsible for notifying me that it had been towed. I contacted the DMV and they say that the Towing company is responsible for it. Is the towing company allowed to continue to store the vehicle, accruing charges beyond its value, without notifying the registered owner that it is in their possession?
Actually, both of them lied to you. Neither of them are required to inform you of anything. When a vehicle is towed, the association that authorized the tow (in this case, the manager of the apartment complex) is required to call the local police department and inform them that a tow has been made off their property. No, the police do not have to contact you either. The reason why the police are informed is so that when you think your vehicle is stolen and freak out and call the police, they can inform you of the tow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">