• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confidentiality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SMBI

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I think this is legal and maybe just not professional or ethical but thought I'd throw the question out anyways. Is it legal for your current employer to call your prospective employer and inquire on your job status?

Without getting into lengthy, boring details my current and future job requires a lengthy background including criminal, financial, personal (talking to friend/neighbors), polygraph, psych, etc. My current employer is laying me off due to a reduction in a different department but that employee used to do my job and has "bumping rights". We're unionized so this is fair. The rules require that if I get laid off they must first terminate any PT employees so this is unfortunately affecting them as well (all 3 of us are gone and they will just add 160 hours of OT to each months schedule).

It's not unusual for backgrounds to take 3 months ... in fact at my current and former employer it took over 6 months from time of oral board to start date. I am lucky that my new employer rushed through a background in 6 weeks. My current "boss" called my new employer to inquire on my status in background and if they were going to give me a conditional job offer and they did this with one of the PT employees in the room with them? Obviously they would like for me to give notice so they can hold onto the 2 PT positions.

I know I can't think of anything illegal but figured people here might know better. Thanks in advance for any input.

It's not illegal to ask, but as a prospective employer, I'd politely tell the inquiring manager that personnel information is confidential. If this new job requires a clearance (not sure, but you did mention the poly), then they won't give up anything anyway :D

SMBI

When it's one Chief calling another Chief they seem to be a little good ole boy about the process. And information was released ... my current Chief was able to find out I had been given a conditional job offer. It's not the end of the world. But seeing as I am still being laid off in 10 days I don't see where it's any of their business what I am doing or where once I'm gone.

Oh well there are better things to worry about in life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">