• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ending Employment Contract Early

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ash2002

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state

I work for a nonprofit organization in Washington state and am in my 3rd year of employment with them. We work on a fiscal year of July 1-June 30 every year. We also sign employment contracts for the duration of that fiscal year. My dilemma is that I want to return to school for my master's degree. The program only commences once a year in June, you can not begin the program fater that until the following year. Technically, I'm under a contract until June 30, 2009. I'd like to leave my employment on May 30, 2009 but I'm afraid of the repurcussions my employer will take against me, despite that I will be returning to school and not seeking alternative employment. I know that they will try to intimidate me with legalities, so I want to go into the situation educated.

Thanks.

ash2002

I haven't spoken to them; the contract doesn't specifically say anything about repurcussions. I'm simply asking, can they do anything like hold me in breach of contract for leaving one month early, or try to deduct from my last paycheck for vacation time earned based on a 12-month contract (we earn 10 days a year of PTO; if I use all by month 11, can they deduct pay?). I want to go into a meeting well informed.

Again, I'm in Washington State (near Idaho).

pattytx

Yes, yes and (if there was a third question in there) yes.

That's why you have to have a discussion with them. And determine what repercussions you may be willing to accept and which you won't.

ecmst12

You need to show your contract to a local attorney to see what ramifications there might be for early termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">