• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Compete Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwhamm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
I have worked for a consulting firm since 2002. During this time I have been on one single contract for the entire period. The company that ended the contract expressed interest in hiring me directly and my employer has refused stating that the contract they had specifies they will not hire their employees for a period of six months.
My consulting company has retained me for the past six months without assigning me a new project. Last week I was given two weeks notice. I now would like to go to work for another consulting firm that is working for the original company, my employer is saying that I am not allowed to do that. I am fairly sure I never signed an agreement that stated any specific “non-compete” clauses and have asked them for signed documentation and they have not provided anything. Now my employer is threatening action against the original company if I work on any contracts for them. This is likely to keep me from getting offered the contract job just because they don’t want the trouble, even though I am the best candidate for the job.
Do they have the legal right to do this? Do I have any recourse?
Thanks

mlane58

A Colorado statute invalidates non-compete agreements except in these limited circumstances: (1) contracts for the purchase and sale of a business or the assets of a business; (2) agreements with executives, management personnel, and their professional staff; (3) contracts for the protection of trade secrets; or (4) contracts for recovery of expenses for educating and training an employee who has been employed for less than two years.

You need to speak with a local attorney whether or not you get a copy of the agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">