• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to disclose?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beaver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I am trying to get employment through a temp-to-perm agency in the accounting field. I have a felony theft on my record from 13 years ago and have disclosed information (date, court, charge, and disposition) to the agency. I have fully repaid restitution and my case has been closed for years. When looked up in public records, the information only states the date, the charge (Theft), and the notation "Case Closed".

Here is my problem: The agency said that their legal department has done a background check but was not satisfied with the information. They have asked me to disclose additional information - what happened, who was the victim, etc.

I want to work for this company but I don't want to say anymore than is necessary to secure a position. Is there a tactful way to reply by saying "I have already provided all of the information required" or should I "spill my guts" about the details and hope that they don't hold it against me?

Please advise, to tell or not to tell . . .

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you tell, you might get the job. If you don't, you won't get the job.

Your choice...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">