• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Quits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

korchek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
Company is in CT, employee in TX. Employee quits effective immediately by sending an overnight letter. Employee ships all material she is working on but retains company laptop and other equipment. The employee is non responsive to phone calls, emails, and fedex letters.

Can I deduct money from the last paycheck as expenses for the equipment the will not return?

When I left my job with a nation-wide corporation (with proper notice), they held my last paycheck until I returned my laptop and other equipment back to them.

I think that is a safer approach, as it avoids the problem of having to put a fair market value on the laptop.

korchek

I realize it is illegal to withhold the check but is it legal to make an expense deduction out of the check?

eerelations

No. It is not only illegal to hold the cheque, it's also illegal to deduct anything other than the usual statutory deductions from the cheque. The legal way for you to get the laptop etc. back would be for you to sue the ex-employee for the value of the items she has kept.

ecmst12

You couldn't have sued for any gajillion dollars. You could have contacted your DOL, who would have forced them to release your check, and then they would have sued YOU for their stuff.

You couldn't have sued for any gajillion dollars. You could have contacted your DOL, who would have forced them to release your check, and then they would have sued YOU for their stuff.
I was including recompense for the extreme emotional distress that I would have suffered. My emotions are really intense, so they are worth top dollar$$$. :eek: :mad: :eek: :( :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">