• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid off in the process of transferring.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmule

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee.

2 questions:
1. Does the Warn Act apply in Tennessee if the company in question had 250 people in October 2008, and has laid off 40 people within a 90 day period. There was a 3 month severance package, so I doubt this applies.

2. If the company is transferring me to another city (Tennessee to Georgia), and I enter into RE contracts to sell my house in Tenn. and buy another in Ga., then a week before the transfer (and the closings), they lay me off, can I get damages for the differences in list price versus contracted price (on the house I sold), contracted price versus appraised value (on the house I was unable to buy being suddenly unemployed), and other damages (earnest money, inspection fee, storage facility rental, etc.). I wound up selling the old house below list, and moving anyway, but I was not able to buy the new house. My wife also quit a (much smaller) job in Tennessee and is also unemployed now--are these lost wages recoverable. I am staying with family. Is there any way to recover rent to them? I'm up to about 50K in loss of net worth.

Betty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee.

2 questions:
1. Does the Warn Act apply in Tennessee if the company in question had 250 people in October 2008, and has laid off 40 people within a 90 day period. There was a 3 month severance package, so I doubt this applies.

2. If the company is transferring me to another city (Tennessee to Georgia), and I enter into RE contracts to sell my house in Tenn. and buy another in Ga., then a week before the transfer (and the closings), they lay me off, can I get damages for the differences in list price versus contracted price (on the house I sold), contracted price versus appraised value (on the house I was unable to buy being suddenly unemployed), and other damages (earnest money, inspection fee, storage facility rental, etc.). I wound up selling the old house below list, and moving anyway, but I was not able to buy the new house. My wife also quit a (much smaller) job in Tennessee and is also unemployed now--are these lost wages recoverable. I am staying with family. Is there any way to recover rent to them? I'm up to about 50K in loss of net worth.
#1 - The federal WARN does not apply here. (not enough employees laid off their jobs) The Tn. "WARN" doesn't either - it applies to employers with 50 but not more than 99 full-time employees.

#2 You might need to talk to an employment attorney & see what they say - if you "might" have some type of "detrimental reliance" case here.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">