• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Erroneous Criminal Record Provided

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eagle634

I'm in North Carolina.

If one is denied employment with a company because a third party company that does background checks provides an erroneous criminal history, can that job seeker sue?

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Potentially, but who would you sue?

The employer? No, they only acted on the information they received.

The background checker? No, they only reported the information they received.

To sue, you'd have to find out where the inaccurate information came from and the burden of proof would be on you to show that it was done either knowlingly or negligently.

CO19

I'm in North Carolina. If one is denied employment with a company because a third party company that does background checks provides an erroneous criminal history, can that job seeker sue? Thanks!
Anyone can sue anyone for anything... below should get you started to determine if a violation occurred:

Summary of Your Rights:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre35.pdf

Using Consumer Reports - What Employers Need to Know and Credit Reports: What Information Providers Need To Know:
FTC Business Information - Advertising

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">