• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for Id'ing for tobacco!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

researchergal

A friend of mine, who lives in Wisconsin, was fired tonight for Id'ing for tobacco!
A teenager and his mother approached her, and the TEENAGER asked for a pack of cigs, and the mother gave the name of the brand. My friend asked for ID, and the mother got mad and asked to speak to the manager, and he fired her!

What kind of legal recourse does she have for being fired for doing her job?

researchergal

True, I am a 3rd party, but this just happened last night, and she was still distraught about it.
She asked for ID, like she was suppose to. (police officers do set ups like this quite often, using a minor and an adult... minor asks for cigs, adult pays...)
The mother got irate and complained to the manager because she thought my friend was being rude for asking for ID, and at the end of her shift, he brought her into the office and told her that she was fired, because the woman complained about it.

I have trouble believing that's the whole story. Some of my friends worked at grocery stores, and they were actually COMMENDED if someone complained about carding, and automatically fired if they were caught selling tobacco/alcohol without asking for ID (especially if caught by police).

ShyCat

Or it's possible that the woman's complaint was legitimate, that the store clerk was in fact rude when asking for ID. It's not like there's a real shortage of rude clerks these days.

pattytx

Being fired for upholding the law....well she could talk to the DOL and see what they think.
All other things being equal, this may be a violation of public policy. Discussion with an employment law attorney might also be something to be looked into.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">