• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bugpac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mi

Question 1:
I am currently laid off, haven't worked in 32 days, It hasn't happened this yr, I am sitting waiting for it to, but last yr My Boss would call me at 7 am and tell me i needed to be there at 12:00 and i would work till 3, I have read and read and as far as i can tell, The law states you have to be ready, willing, and able for Full Time work, Does this qualify as full time work? If i refused his demand could I be denied my benefits? It is almost as he thinks we are on call, yet he is paying us nothing to be available at his will for a few hours work except our wage.....

Question 2:
If i move to a different state, while laid off, and my employer calls me back to work, it would then not be suitable work by definition correct? So he could not deny my benefits? And would i keep drawing unemployment in Michigan, or do i have to re register in the new state?

pattytx

1. If you refused, yes, you could be denied benefits. The state would rather you have some income than none. If the amount earned is within the guidelines for your benefit amount, you may be able to get partial payments.

2. If you aren't available for work from the Michigan employer, then you can't go back. Assuming you continue to look for work in the new state, I'm "educatedly" guessing, that such a situation would not be a refusal to accept "suitable work (50/50 shot at least). You cannot open a new claim in a new state of residence until your Michigan claim expires, i.e. one year from original claim date. You would continue to receive benefits from Michigan.

Bugpac

Well i have read that if i move, i have to refile in the new state as an interstate claim, So are we certain this is a fact?

And in question 1 I asked the Definition of suitable full time work? Is this a fact as well, that on call for 3hrs work is suitable full time work?

Lets get it a little more involved, If i am offered another job for half the pay, and 3x the distance to the job, is this suitable Full time work?

Last edited:

Bugpac

I cut and copied this from Michigans Unemployment website....

Eligibility requirements
To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must be unemployed and able to, available for, and
actively seeking suitable full-time work. Unless instructed otherwise by UIA staff, you must also
register for work within two to three business days of applying for benefits by filing your resume
with the Michigan Talent Bank and by reporting to your local Michigan Works! Agency service
center.

What is the definition of suitable full time work? Does 3 hrs fall under this definition?

pattytx

Registering for work is not the same as opening a UI claim, just to clarify.

Only the state can tell you what the definition of "suitable work" is, but one definition is the same type or similar work that you were doing before.

But what I was trying to tell you earlier is that a few hours a week is not going to decrease your UI benefits much, if at all.

Bugpac

Yes i understand that, I have worked partial weeks a lot, Im just tired of there crap thinking i am on call at there free will to work a few hours, this is my point really... I want to tell them No and stand my ground...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">