• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

noncompete clause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tj_kirk64

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I work in the cable industry and was a contractor until 12/31/08. At this time our contract ended and we were hired by the company that I contracted to as a W-2 employee. I worked for this company for two weeks and was terminated. I am trying to get hired at a competitor in the same town (there are only 2), and was informed that I have a 6 month no hire agreement in force. So I cannot work until june 30, 2009.

Now, there are no trade secrets of any kind involved here and I was not given any kind of compensation for this so called agreement. Also I was told there is a gentlemans agreement in force that prevents me from working for the competition for 6 months.

The company I want to go to wants to hire me but cannot due to this agreement, they are W-2 based as well.

I was told that these agreements cannot be enforced and in fact are illegal. Is this true or not and do I have any recourse?

Thanks a bunch

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am not aware of any laws that prohibit such "gentlemens' agreements" not to hire each other's employees. Sometimes "I'd like to hire you but I have an agreement that says I won't hire former employees of Company A" translates to, "I'm not interested in hiring you but I don't want to say so outright so I'm going to blame it on an agreement with your old employer".

Bottom line - under the circumstance you describe, if he wanted to hire you badly enough, he would.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">