• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scared and Dont know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asahi21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm so glad I found this forum. I apologize ahead of time for posting this same message in another thread. It covers multiple categories. Here is my situation.

Hello, I work for one of the top 3 commercial banks in the United states. I had an intimate relationship with my boss on a few occasions since late 2007. My boss was engaged at the time and still is to this day! It was one of those incidents where you get really drunk at a company event and things happen. I thought it would be a one time thing this was not the case. It was fun in the beginning we would trade glances at eachother, have lunch and dinner together. But the past 10 months have been hellish. I do my job well and if anything I do more than what is expected of me. Ever since things went wrong, my boss has been telling me that I have an attitude problem, a horrible person, and have been influencing the staff to think this way as well. I decided to step down from my position late last year so that I wouldn’t have to work directly with my boss. It was getting uncomfortable. We work in the same building but this step-down allowed me to see my boss less often. This was only a short fix and the treatment continued. So I decided this year to work a modified schedule and go back to school to further my education. I felt that this would be a nice break. Its now the 2nd week of my modified schedule and I had a meeting with my boss a few days ago. The meeting did not go well. My boss told me to, "get out", "I'm sick of you", "I cant work with you", "I've made arrangements to transfer you to a different location." I was shocked to say the least. Our conversation went back and forth for 2 hours and it did get personal. The choice that was given to me by my boss was, "You can leave with dignity” or "I can ask upper management to intervene with the transfer" My boss went on to tell me I wont be fired just transferred out. I was then told to leave work early, think about the choices, and also because my boss, “didn’t want to look at me.” I refused. My boss then went on to tell me that I would receive a full days pay. I refused again. I went on to tell my boss that I was there to work and am not leaving because I wanted to stay and help my team. I was told that the team could do without me. My boss then went ahead and brought in an assistant manager to “team up” on me. I stood my ground and refused. My boss then threatened to "write me up" for disobeying an order. I told my boss that I did nothing wrong and the only thing that I could be written up for was "wanting to work". I told my boss to draw up the papers and I would sign it. Needless to say my boss didn’t proceed with the threat. My boss then directed the assistant manager to close up my work area. He went ahead and asked me to acknowledge it on a company documents but I refused and told him it was done against my will. I do my job well and I get along great with the majority of the staff and I believe my boss has manipulated some of the employees to think that I’m a “bad egg”. I've been with the company longer than my boss. I've been at that location longer than my boss. I was told that when I arrive on Friday Jan 23 to expect an answer from my boss or for me to respond to one of the two choices that was given to. I stood my ground during the conversation and told my boss I wasnt leaving. I cant believe this. Can this really happen? I've never been in this situation before. I appreciate your response. I really dont know what to expect now how to handle the situation come this friday Jan 23. Do I have a case? Thank you. Any advice on how to handle the situation when i step into the conference room? Obviously, this is all related to work and no one knows about our intimate relationship. How do I handle this? What do I do if the boss decides to bring it up and make them self look like a victim? Its like I'm afraid to lose my job but I dont want to talk about our relationship. I'm so confused :(

Our conversation went back and forth for 2 hours and it did get personal. The choice that was given to me by my boss was, "You can leave with dignity” or "I can ask upper management to intervene with the transfer" My boss went on to tell me I wont be fired just transferred out. I was then told to leave work early, think about the choices, and also because my boss, “didn’t want to look at me.” I refused.
So you bickered with him, he told you to get out, and you refused? My guess is that they're not calling you in to give you a raise today... and NO, it doesn't sound like you have a case. Insubordination is a perfectly reasonable offense to terminate for.

eerelations

Refusing to leave when your boss told you to is insubordination. Refusing to leave several times when your boss ordered you to leave several times is gross misconduct. You're lucky your boss didn't call the cops and have them arrest you!

Beth3

You had an affair with your boss and eventually, the situation got unpleasant. There's a surprise. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you'll be terminated or not but you refused direct orders from your boss repeatedly. You don't have the upperhand here but apparently you thought you did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">