• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended license help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

therock525

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I was not sure if my question was considered a moving violation or not and I actually have more than one question so please bear with my long story:

I was driving home and got randomly stopped at a checkpoint before a tunnel (numerous cars were being pulled over) I believe because of my tints. I explained to the officer that I bought the car used, in NY, already with the tints so I figured they were NY legal. Anyway he takes my license and registration and disappears. When he comes back he informs me that my license is suspended and confiscates it. He tells me that it is suspended because if you have over 6 points on your license there is a fee that needs to be paid to the DMV for the next 3 years and that I apparently paid it in 2008 but not in 2007. I had no idea there was such a thing and certainly don't remember ever having paid it, however, my license does have an old address so maybe I never got it in the mail. He let me go since my GF was in the car and is licensed but he said I can do what I want but his advice was to plead guilty and throw myself on the mercy of the court as 99% of the time that will result in a slap on the wrist. So my questions are:

1. Any way to get out of the illegal tints ticket by saying I didn't know and having them redone in a certain number of days?
2. Has anyone heard of this fee for 3 years if you have 6 points on your license and should I plead guilty or argue my case?
3. What are the odds of getting out of my third ticket, which was driving with a suspended license, since I hadn't the slightest idea it was even suspended?

Much thanks in advance for any help

therock525

OK well I did some more searching and found the following:

If you receive six points on your driver record during a period of 18 months, the annual assessment is $100. The minimum amount that you must pay each year is the annual assessment. The total assessment for the three years is $300.

So I'll just do whatever I have to do to get my license back but I just checked the ticket and my hearing is not until March 26th. I called the court and asked if I could get it moved up, the guy asked if I got it on a pink ticket and I said yes so he yes and gave me another number to call. When I called it they said nope, it's a 60 day window March 26th is fine. Do you think if I actually go to the court and plead my case (need it for work, kids) they will bump me up? Terrible to be without a license for 2 months for a clerical issue, not even a moving violation or accumulation of points.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">