• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conservatorship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phaminator

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I've a 60-yo sister who is diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic and whom refuses treatment.
My father was her conservator until he passed away a couple of years ago (mother passed away too). Since then, the sister's been in homeless shelters or temp housing.
Her only source of income is SSI since she is unable to hold down a job due to her temper
and bouts of flight where she would simply take off to who-knows-where.
She has been arrested before for assault and battery; she has been in numerous psych wards; she has been in treatment on and off so there is a cohesive medical and legal trail.

Even though money is a bit limited, I would like to get her into a treatment program and housing. I can wait for her to get into trouble with the law and they can force her into one but I'm also looking at petitioning for conservatorship.
1) Can a conservator make medical treatment (specifically, mental health treatment) for the conservatee?
2) How costly will this legal action be? > $10k? < $10k? I just need to get a sense.
3) Are there any other options?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">