• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cable Industry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

delc313

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut
Up until yesterday I've worked for the last 6yrs for a cable corporation. I witnessed many ethical issues as far as with directors, managers, and supervisors and with a vendor that we used. Basically they received many gifts from a vendor for our business. I always felt as I was in the middle. Many times I would bring up concerns on invoices being inflated by this vendor. But many times I was just told to approve it and send it in for payment. Yesterday I was brought into a conference room with their security (they've been their less than a year) I was told that the gig is up I had to name names and say everything including implicating myself because my name is on the credit card issued to me by the company, but, I was not the one paying it. I did not know what to do so after 5hrs of being their I started to write down everything for them. But one of them told me basically to also implicate myself. Once he said that I started crying because I thought this was so unfair and I did not know what to do so rather them firing me I chose to resign. I stated in my resignation that I was resigning due to that investigation where many directors, managers, supervisors were getting vacations, work done in their homes, etc.. Now, I don't think I can even collect unemployement. I'm so mad about this situation and I almost feel like going to the media about their unethical practice. I don't know what to do and need advice? :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Some Random Guy

Because you voluntarily resigned, you will not be able to collect unemployment.

Their security team pressured you, but that is both legal and ethical. It was your supervisors who were the unethical ones.

However, you still have the matter of inflated charges on the company credit card. You knew that they were inflated and you charged it anyway. So if any crimes were being committed, you put yourself on the hook for being responsible for it but never got any of the rewards.

Contact a lawyer if you think that you will be prosecuted. Contact a lawyer period - since it is clear that their security group can get you to crack under pressure. Having representation will provide a buffer to help you remain focused on identifying the people responsible while keeping yourself from getting into more trouble.

mistoffolees

However, you still have the matter of inflated charges on the company credit card. You knew that they were inflated and you charged it anyway. So if any crimes were being committed, you put yourself on the hook for being responsible for it but never got any of the rewards.
It appears that he was ordered by his supervisor to approve the charges. While that may not get him off the hook as far as legal proceedings are concerned, he (or his attorney) should have a talk with HR to see if he can keep his job - since he tried for a long time to report the discrepancies and was stonewalled.

It might be worth a try.

Some Random Guy

he (or his attorney) should have a talk with HR to see if he can keep his job - since he tried for a long time to report the discrepancies and was stonewalled.
But:
1. He wasn't fired - he quit.
2. He never said he wanted his job back
3. He never took his concerns about the bribery/improper payments to anyone who was not in on the scam.
3. The employer doesn't need to rehire employees who happen to be slightly less corrupt than their supervisors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">