• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17-18 years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tryduck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA
Had a few questions on warrants issued 17-18 years ago on shop lifting of $50.00 items. I have a friend that is now 43 and had to have a background check done and found she has a warrant in GA , but they arnt going to come get her for it , Which was for a $50.00 shoplifting charge from 17-18 years ago. She was in drugs and had a abusive spouse and he made her do it . I am not making excuses for her and only trying to help her solve this issue.She never was served on going to court but was arrested but didnt have the court day so she didnt go , she was still in GA for about 6 months then left to another state.Now that it has come up she wants to get it taken care of , they have told her just come to GA to solve this because they arnt going to come get her as she was at a police station in PA for a background check and they told her GA said they didnt want to bring her to GA.On the back ground check is says mistemeanor but on her SSI letter it says its a felony. Does that matter and which is right .Now she has does have medical issues , diabetic/bipolar/Mental issues which is undercontrol by her meds and talking to a shirnk In PA.She is on SSI/Disablity and has been sent a letter they are taking away her SSI till she clears up this issue (after having it for 3 years now ) and cant work now due to medical issues both phyiscal and mentally. I really feel sorry for her as she will have no income now(thinking they will take her disability next due to this) and want to help her get this cleared up the best way possible because they said on the SSI letter it is a felony warrant and they will not pay SSI till it is cleared up. I was wondering what is mostlikey the outcome if i take her to GA for this warrant. I told her she should talk to a few lawyers first before we go there and she turns herself in. I understand she had a choice and didnt have to steal , no matter what her spouse did to her (which is why she has medial issues now) but what is the likely outcome on this , will she be thrown in jail for years and have huge fines ( she cant pay due to being disabled/SSI) to pay.Will she still be able to get her meds and counclin if tossed in jail. I am for owning up to your actions and have told her this isnt gonna go away and she agrees she wants to get this taken care of but were talking about like 20 years ago and she wasnt even contacted on the court date, she hasnt hid from them and has always had a drivers license in the state which she moved to so they could have found her to serve her.I know she did the crime and dont need smart remarks , only answers weather good or bad . Thank you in advanceWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

summerdawn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA
Had a few questions on warrants issued 17-18 years ago on shop lifting of $50.00 items. I have a friend that is now 43 and had to have a background check done and found she has a warrant in GA , but they arnt going to come get her for it , Which was for a $50.00 shoplifting charge from 17-18 years ago. She was in drugs and had a abusive spouse and he made her do it . I am not making excuses for her and only trying to help her solve this issue.She never was served on going to court but was arrested but didnt have the court day so she didnt go , she was still in GA for about 6 months then left to another state.Now that it has come up she wants to get it taken care of , they have told her just come to GA to solve this because they arnt going to come get her as she was at a police station in PA for a background check and they told her GA said they didnt want to bring her to GA.On the back ground check is says mistemeanor but on her SSI letter it says its a felony. Does that matter and which is right .Now she has does have medical issues , diabetic/bipolar/Mental issues which is undercontrol by her meds and talking to a shirnk In PA.She is on SSI/Disablity and has been sent a letter they are taking away her SSI till she clears up this issue (after having it for 3 years now ) and cant work now due to medical issues both phyiscal and mentally. I really feel sorry for her as she will have no income now(thinking they will take her disability next due to this) and want to help her get this cleared up the best way possible because they said on the SSI letter it is a felony warrant and they will not pay SSI till it is cleared up. I was wondering what is mostlikey the outcome if i take her to GA for this warrant. I told her she should talk to a few lawyers first before we go there and she turns herself in. I understand she had a choice and didnt have to steal , no matter what her spouse did to her (which is why she has medial issues now) but what is the likely outcome on this , will she be thrown in jail for years and have huge fines ( she cant pay due to being disabled/SSI) to pay.Will she still be able to get her meds and counclin if tossed in jail. I am for owning up to your actions and have told her this isnt gonna go away and she agrees she wants to get this taken care of but were talking about like 20 years ago and she wasnt even contacted on the court date, she hasnt hid from them and has always had a drivers license in the state which she moved to so they could have found her to serve her.I know she did the crime and dont need smart remarks , only answers weather good or bad . Thank you in advanceWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I don't think anyone on a forum will be able to tell you what is going to happen. I had a similar situation. I was arrested for something when i was 19. (i'm 32 now.) I kind of forgot about it after a while but I ended up at the local police station this past year to review my son's behavior at school (he wasn't doing so well and the school review board is held there.) I was informed by the probation officer that works with the junior high that I had a warrant-when he told me I had one I knew exactly what he was talking about, because I had never gone back to court years ago to get it taken care of. (Eh, EMBARASSING!) I was terrified to go face it, but I was SO glad when it was over. Just tell your friend to suck it up and get it taken care of so that she can live her life again. Good luck to her.

Go to the courthouse in the county that she was arrested in and ask that she be put on the docket. They will pull her file and the judge will probably see her the same day. When you ask to put her on the docket you can probably ask if her crime is a felony or misdemeanor and what she was charged with. She may get a chance to speak with a public defender if she chooses to-the judge will probably give her the opportunity. I never did, I represented myself. Make sure you get there super early, right when (or even before-there may be a long line outside) the courthouse opens because most courthouses won't add you to the docket after 8:30 or 9 or so in the morning and then you'd have to go back the next day. If she has any health problems or other problems I would suggest she tell the judge or bailiff if they take her into custody. I was taken into custody when I was younger and I informed them that I had a heart problem and asthma and they let me have my inhaler in the cell with me. They also ordered a sherriff on duty to do a medical exam on me before putting me in with other inmates for liability reasons. If I had actually been put into the general population I was told I would be put in a special section for pregnant moms and people with medical problems.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">