• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Town Parking Ordinence Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluefairy4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I received a parking ticket today. In fact, about 30 of us that live here received one. We've always parked on the side of the road for years and today the police officer told us that they "researched" it and we aren't supposed to park on the street at all. He said there USED to be signs posted saying that a long time ago.

There are a few signs posted, but the areas that they are posted in were not places we parked. (To help better understand the location, we live in a residential neighborhood that is off the main road, however its still located on a town owned road despite the fact the entire property is privately owned. There have been numerous issues regarding the property manager telling people where they can and cannot park on city streets that they do not have the jurisdiction over. Its been very confusing.)

The management told us we could park in the spots we did, and the signs that say "No Parking any time" were on the culdesac and around the fire hydrant and mailboxes. There is also one posted at the very beginning of the complex. People do not park in those areas. All the other spots however have always been fine. Suddenly its not ok the police officer says.

So I decided to look up the Town Ordinances and see if there was anything about parking on there. Except I don't understand how its written.

Could you please tell me, looking at my horrible drawing (green dot is where I parked, red dots are where there are signs posted that say "No Parking at any time.".) if all 30 residents and building managers have just been reading the signs wrong for the past 35 years or if the town is mistaken?

This is the Ordinance in the "No Parking" section.
"Parkview Court, both sides, from intersection of Main Street to the end.
Parkview Court , from the intersection of Main Street northeasterly for a distance of 40 feet along such street.
Parkview Court , southwesterly side, from the cul-de-sac to the intersection of Main Street."

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/ladyivey/parkingsituation.jpg:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

patstew

Your map is unclear. Is that street with the cul-de-sac Parkview Court as well?

YMMV, but usually a sign indicates restrictions for the whole block, unless arrows indicate otherwise.

bluefairy4

Yes the entire road including the cul-de-sac is Parkview Court, which is why the ordinance confused me. It seems to either overstate itself, or is broken into three parts because there are places where you can park. I'm not sure which.

The spot that I parked in has widely been regarded as an acceptable place for parking both with the management and the police for the past 35 years. So someone is either wrong now, or was wrong in overlooking it. LOL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">