• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance of a trust???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tx
My wife is the beneficiary of a irrevocable trust setup by her mother. My wife receives a monthly check from the trust. My question is if my wife dies before I do what happens to her trust? Would it go to her son? My wife provides a little more then half of our income...not all the income she provides comes from the trust. If she were to die it would be a huge hardship to stay in the house we are currently in on my salary alone. Would I be entitled to a portion of the trust? Her mother is still alive.

curb1

The easiest solution for your situation is to buy a term life insurance policy on your wife.

The answer about the trust would be an easy 5 minute phone call to the Trustee of the trust. Not all trusts are the same.

trust

Well my wife is leary about calling the trust company since her mother has a close relationship and she feels they will tell her that she called and that may upset her mother. It is a large sum of money at least that is what her mother has told her, but she has never seen a copy of the trust. Good advice on buying term insurance.

If it is truly irrevocable, Mom can't change the trust.

If at all possible, wife needs to have a conversation with Mom about the trust for her own (wife's) estate planning. For example, some trusts have a power of appointment that needs to be exercised. In others, as suggested, the issue may already be addressed (it would not be unusual, for example, for son to get the distribution). Based on what is going to occur, wife can make the balance of her estate planning (for example, purchasing appropriate insurance).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">