• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violated Probation By Going to CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacqueline pope

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Brother was arrested in 2006 for criminal tresspassing to a vehicle in Chicago, Illinois his resident state. He was 19 at the time. He was sentenced to 2 weeks jail and 2 years probation. He went to see his mother after 1 year and did not return to Illinois nor did he advise his probation officer of his whereabouts. He is surrendering on Monday to the originating court of law in Illinois. There is a warrant for VOP. What will happen to him? We cannot afford an attorney so any advice would be so appreciated.

seniorjudge

He needs to ask for a public defender.

How much jail time is hanging over him?

Was there any damage?

If so, did he pay it off?

jacqueline pope

The fines were paid and there were no damages. He will for certain ask for a public defender when he arrives back in Illinois on 2/2/08 and surrenders himself to the Court. Will the incarcerate him for this and could it be for a long time? He did 1 year of two year probation.

jacqueline pope

Hello. We will not know how much jail time there will be until he surrenders Monday. He is flying back from California solely to do this. I was hoping you might be able to answer the question based on past knowledge??? With sincere respect Seniorjudge.

seniorjudge

Hello. We will not know how much jail time there will be until he surrenders Monday. He is flying back from California solely to do this. I was hoping you might be able to answer the question based on past knowledge??? With sincere respect Seniorjudge.
When he was put on probation, how much jail time did he have hanging over him>

jacqueline pope

Hello Senior Judge,

Finances are not where he can afford a lawyer and will need to enlist a public defender. His former probation officer called yesterday and advised he has a VOP hearing on Monday (he comes back to Chicago Sunday) at 9:30am in front of the original judge. In your humble opinion will she do re sentencing right then OR incarcerate until a public defender can be appointed. I hate to be so ignorant but the lagal system is foreign to me... thank goodness.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">